US clinical experience with Dr. Nilanjana Bose at Lonestar Rheumatology, Houston, TX
Welcome to Lonestar Rheumatology!
We are excited to offer you the chance to work with Dr. Bose as you prepare for your residency in the US. We understand the struggles of an IMG as Dr. Bose is an IMG herself! We promise you a wonderful, engaging and fruitful rotation!
Dr. Bose has had a distinguished academic and clinical career. She completed her internship at William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, MI, residency in internal medicine at the University of Oklahoma in Tulsa, OK and rheumatology fellowship at the Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, OH. She is board certified in rheumatology and enjoys the challenges of taking care of patients with diverse rheumatologic problems. She also completed an online MBA program (with a focus on healthcare administration) through the University of Massachusetts, Amherst in 2019, adding to her skills.
Dr. Bose has worked in diverse clinical settings from 2011 through 2022 (from the Veterans’ Affairs hospital in Richmond, VA to a university-based clinic at UTMB, Galveston and then at a private rheumatology practice in Pearland), providing the very best in rheumatologic care. In pursuit of her passion to provide a personalized approach to rheumatology patients, she started her own rheumatology clinic in 2022.
She has authored several articles in peer-reviewed journals. She has also contributed to rheumatology book chapters and presented her research at multiple meetings. She regularly contributes to online articles on arthritis-related topics for public awareness and is actively involved with the Arthritis Foundation in Houston. She enjoys being an active member of the community. She is a member of the Memorial Hermann MHMD physician network and also affiliated with HCA Houston Healthcare Pearland.
She has been a Castle Connolly Top Doctor since 2021.
She has also been featured in Findatopdoc.com.
Dr. Nilanjana Bose is an active member of the American College of Rheumatology. Her hobbies include Indian classical dance and traveling.
The current clinic schedule is Monday- Friday 8am-4pm, with usually 0.5/1 day for administrative duties. There are usually 12-14 patients each day in the office with a variety of conditions including common rheumatologic conditions, evaluate patients for infusions, bracing, etc.
Responsibilities and expectations:
- Ability to shadow a busy outpatient physician: Students will be shadowing Dr. Bose in the clinic initially. Students will see the patients together with her while history is taken, and physical exam is done. Patients’ condition and management will be discussed after the completion of the office visit. Student will be observing chart documentation. The student can examine the patient only with patient’s permission and awareness of the privileges.
- We will train the student on how best to use our EMR and document while talking to the patient!
- You will learn skills like history taking, focused physical exam, patient communication, verbal and non-verbal cues and learn from a seasoned physician whom patients love!
- Hands on approach: Once confident, students can go into the patient room, take a brief history (chief complaint, HPI), review medical history (PMH, PSH, Family history, Social History, Meds, Allergies) and present to Dr. Bose with a brief plan. Then they can go into the exam room and complete the visit. This will equip students with the necessary tools for good history taking.
- EMR experience: Student will be encouraged to learn the Electronic medical records being used (and hence will need HIPAA certification) and help with pre-charting patient visits. This will help with residency readiness!
- Experience with progress notes: Students can also help Dr. Bose with completion of notes by adding in complaints, reviewing medication/allergies/social history/family history/surgical history, medical history etc.
- Ability to work with a team: Student will learn how to work with staff members in a collegial environment.
- Participate in improvement projects: Student can help with online reputation/reviews, social media, blogs etc
- Letter of Recommendation: The student is expected to get a letter of recommendation if they perform well/above expectations during the rotation.
- We would love a video testimonial from the student at completion, subject to their satisfaction with the rotation. This video testimonial will be displayed on the website of Lonestar Rheumatology
Duration: 4-24 weeks (available all months of the year subject to availability)
Availability: 1-2 spots per month
EMAIL US TODAY at firstname.lastname@example.org and enquire more about our amazing US clinical Experience opportunities!